If you need sinus augmentation, a dentist can give you the care you need.
If you are looking to have sinus augmentation performed, your dentist can help. Dentists are trained to perform this type of surgery, have the necessary equipment and knowledge, and have the experience and skills needed for it.
What is Sinus Augmentation?
A sinus augmentation is a surgical procedure that augments the sinuses (the spaces in your skull behind your nose and eyes) to correct a deviated nasal septum or to treat chronic sinusitis (inflammation of the lining of your sinuses).
The goal of this surgery is to improves airflow into the nose and allows mucous membranes to drain properly.
Why do You Need a Dentist for Sinus Augmentation?
You need a dentist for sinus augmentation for several reasons:
Dentists have received specialized training in the use of anesthesia, which is essential to ensuring that your procedure is completed safely and comfortably. They also have access to the tools needed to perform surgery (scalpels, drills, etc.).
Because dentists are trained as surgeons, they have access to specialized equipment that can help improve outcomes following a sinus augmentation procedure. This includes devices like pneumatic dental drills and guided bone regeneration systems (GBR).
What Is the Sinus Augmentation Process Like?
The process begins with the application of an anesthesia to numb the area while your dentist performs the sinus surgery. The surgical technique typically involves making small incisions outside of visible areas on an inconspicuous part of the face such as under an eyebrow or inside one’s earlobe so it’s not noticeable when healed.
The process begins with numbing the area of treatment. once the procedure is complete, we’ll prescribe you pain medication and aftercare instructions. Your recovery should be complete within 4-6 weeks.
What is the Aftercare of Sinus Augmentation?
After your procedure your aftercare will include:
- Avoiding strenuous activity and any activity that causes your nose to hurt or the implant to shift.
- Avoiding aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil), naproxen sodium (Aleve), and similar medications that can thin your blood for at least two weeks after surgery. If you need to take a pain reliever, acetaminophen is safe.
- Do not drink alcohol for one week before surgery and do not drink alcohol for one week after surgery if you are taking blood thinners.
- Stop smoking for at least three months before surgery and continue afterward if you want the best results with sinus augmentation surgery.
- Avoid sleeping on your back or side with your knees bent during recovery to prevent pressure on the septum grafts or implants inside of your nose; this may further complications
- Avoid all water until all stitches have been removed because water could dislodge any loose sutures causing other issues. If you have any questions about sinus augmentation, contact us today. We can help you determine if this procedure is right for you and your specific needs.
Why Choose Us?
We have been in the business for years. We are leading the industry in dental care and are always looking to improve our services. As your local dentist, you can trust that you’re in great care and extremely safe with us.
We take pride in being honest with our patients so they know exactly what they’re getting into before they make an appointment with us. If you have any questions about our practice, we encourage you to ask us directly—there are no surprises!
Don’t be afraid to tell your dentist if something is bothering you during a dental exam; this is why we offer such great customer service! Dental exams are very important for everyone’s health as well as for maintaining good oral hygiene habits throughout life—whether it’s once every six months or once every year (depending on what type of treatment plan has been prescribed). Have you had yours yet? Give us a call today!
Call us for your perfect smile
WHY CHOOSE US
Trusted By Families, Dentist In Northridge CA
Dr. Kevin H Gropp is dedicated to giving you the healthy smile you deserve. When you visit our dentist in Northridge, in addition to receiving expert dental care, you will be treated like a family member! Dr. Gropp’s diverse dental skill set includes dental implants, pediatrics, family, cosmetic dentistry, and more.
Request An Appointment
We decide your unique dental treatments based on your dental needs. Our dedicated specialists are excited to take care of your smile.